A pair of George III Cary’s 12 inch floor globes

Origin

England

Dates

1800

Dimensions

H  36.00 inch (91.44 cm)  

Dimensions
H  36.00 inch (91.44 cm)  

Description

A pair of George III Cary’s 12 inch floor globes, each in a mahogany stand with a turned and spirally gadrooned support raised on three scrolled legs with brass castors joined by compass roses, the terrestrial papers updated as explained on the label: ‘Cary’s New Terrestrial Globe delineated from the best Authorities extant; Exhibiting the late Discoveries towards the North Pole and every improvement in Geography to the present time. London: made and sold by G & J Cary, 86 St James’s Street, Jan.y 4 1827’ and the celestial dated 1800. Compass papers and dishes replaced. English.

Footnote: The celebrated Cary family of cartographers and globe makers produced some of the greatest late Georgian globes. The firm was started in London in the late 18th century by John Cary (c1754-1835), an engraver and dealer in maps who often worked in partnership with his brother William Cary (c1760-1825), a scientific instrument maker. John Cary concentrated on geographical excellence rather than on decoration. In about 1820 the Cary brothers moved their business to 86 St. James’s Street, leaving the premises at 181 Strand to John Cary’s son George (c1788-1859) and John Jr. (1791-1852) who traded as G. & J. Cary until about 1850.

Makers

CARY, LONDON

Condition

excellent

Sold
Request Details Call Dealer

More items from this category