Pair of 21" Cary's terrestrial and celestial library globes

Origin

England

Dates

1790 to 1825

Dimensions

H  47.00 inch (119.38 cm)  

Dimensions
H  47.00 inch (119.38 cm)  

Description

A pair of 21" Cary's terrestrial and celestial library globes,
each set on a turned mahogany column with tripod cabriole legs, carved on the knees, the papers dated 1790 and 1825, compasses replaced.

Provenance

The celebrated Cary family of cartographers and globe makers produced some of the greatest late Georgian globes. The firm was started in London in the late 18th century by John Cary (cl 1754-1835), an engraver and dealer in maps who often worked in partnership with his brother William Cary (cl 760-1825), a scientific instrument maker. John concentrated on geographical excellence rather than on decoration. In about 1820 the Cary brothers moved their business to 86 St. James's Street, leaving the premises at 181 Strand to John Cary's sons George (c. 1788-1859) and John Jr. (1791 - 1852) who
traded as G. & J. Cary until about 1850.

£ 120000.00
Request Details Call Dealer

More items from this category